Model Guidance Parameters Page
After choosing the Model and Area from the Model Guidance page, the Model Guidance Parameter Page is displayed. The figure below shows the Model Guidance Parameter Page for the model, GFS, and the area, NAMER.
Shown on the Model Guidance Parameter Page are:
- A back button that returns to the Model Guidance Page.
- A home button that returns to the MAG Home Page
- The available model cycles. The cycles are displayed with the latest cycle as the default, displayed on the right-most cell, and highlighted in red. To view the products from a previous cycle, click on the desired 'mm/dd/yyyy hhUTC' link. That link will turn red, and the page will show all the products generated for that cycle.
- The parameter names (or products) available for the selected Model and Area. The available parameters are grouped into categories. The figure below shows four different categories: Precipitation Parameters, SFC-Layer Parameters, Upper Air Parameters, and Four Panel Charts.
- Radio buttons for selecting the desired image size (large, medium, or small). This choice is not available for every model and area.
Click on one of the parameters to display the available forecast hours for that parameter. The next figure shows the Model Guidance Parameter page after precip_p01 has been selected. (Note that the term product refers to the same thing as parameter.)
The Model Guidance Parameter page adds the following additional information, once a parameter has been selected:
- A button labeled 'Open product description'. Click this button to display information on the parameter (product) that was selected. To close the product description, click the button again (which now says Close product description).
- A row with two 'TIME SELECT' options. These options are used to specify how to view forecast hour images: Single Time selection (one image), or Time Range Selection (user-specified start and ending times of a loop). This is a new feature that is described in detail in the next section.
- A table of forecast hours available for the selected parameter (product).
- Pre-defined loop links, 'Loop All', '1 Day', '2 Day', etc.
Forecast hour and pre-defined looping links
The table of forecast hours, and the pre-defined loops are shown as clickable links, or static text that is black or gray:
- A blue, clickable link indicates the image is available. Figure 3-2 shows forecast hours 001 through 213 are available, as well as 'Loop All', '1 Day', '2 Day', through '9 Day'.
- Black text indicates a forecast hour or predefined loop is valid for the model and area, but the model has not completed to the point of making the image for the forecast hour. The image should be available soon. Figure 3-2 shows forecast hours 216 - 240 are valid times for this product, but they are not yet available. Predefined loop '10 Day' is also not yet available, since images for day 10 have not been completed.
- Gray text indicates a forecast hour or predefined loop that is not valid for this product. Figure 3-2 shows forecast hour 000 is not valid for this product, as well as hours 252 - 3814, and loops '11 Day', '12 Day', through '16 Day.
Clicking on a pre-defined loop link will start the loop running. "Loop All" will loop all available images. "1 Day" will loop images from the first available forecast hour through one day. "2 Day" will loop from the first available forecast hour through the second day, etc.
Clicking on a forecast hour link will either display the image for that hour, or select it for user-selected looping, depending on the Time Select mode, which is described in the next section.
Some of the models are run more than once an hour, and the forecasts are presented as forecast hour : forecast minutes (hhh:mm). Figure 3-3 shows the forecast hours table for the HRRR model that produces 4 images per hour for some products. For the selected product in the figure, only one per hour is generated. The figure shows that forecast hours 001:00 through 008:00 are ready, while 009:00 through 015:00 are not yet completed. All of the 15, 30, and 45 minute forecast minutes are not valid.
Time Select Modes
The two TIME SELECT modes are used to specify how to view forecast hour images:
- Single Time Selection: provides the same functionality as the previous MAG version. When a forecast hour is clicked, the image for that forecast hour is displayed. This is the default mode.
- Time Range Selection: provides new functionality, where the user can select the looping time range, (the start and end forecast hour to use in the loop).
Since this is new feature, there is a (?) link next to 'TIME SELECT''. Click on the (?), and information on using the two modes is displayed. To close the help text, click (?) again, or click the Close button inside the help text.
Single Time Selection Mode
The figure below shows the Model Guidance Parameter Page with Cycles, Parameters, Time Select, Forecast Hour links, and pre-defined loops links, with the Time Select row circled. 'Single Time Selection' is displayed in red, indicating that the current Time Select mode is Single Time Selection. While in this mode, clicking on a forecast hour link displays the static image for that forecast hour. The Single Image Graphic page is ......
Time Range Selection Mode
When in Time Range Selection mode, clicking on the forecast hours sets the start and end hours, which will be used for looping.
To set the Time Select mode to Time Range Selection, click the text 'Time Range Selection'. The text will turn red, and two additional buttons will appear:and as shown in the figure below.
To set the start hour, click on a forecast hour, for example, 016. The 016 link turns red, and the
button changes to . This indicates a starting hour has been selected.
Then select another forecast hour, for example, 058. The link 058 turns red, as well as all of the links between 016 and 058. The button changes to(See the figure below). Clicking the Time Range Loop button will initiate an image looping page that starts at forecast hour 016 and ends with forecast hour 058.
The starting and ending forecast hour settings may be changed by simply clicking another forecast hour. For the previous e xample, clicking a number less than 016 will reset the starting hour, and clicking a number greater than 058 will reset the ending hour. Clicking in between 016 and 058 will reset either the starting or ending hour, whichever is closer. Also, one can start over by clicking the 'Clear' button, which will deselect all forecast hours.
While in Time Range Selection mode, the user can change to another product, and the software will keep the same loop range selections, if possible, i.e., if the new product has the same forecast hours available.
Note: the pre-defined loops ('Loop All', '1 Day', etc) work the same in either Time Select mode.